January 31, 2022
Patch Notes - v0.3.3
Caves have been reworked, which means new monster types, items, room types, enemy behaviors, and more.
On top of this we've added a new type of quest "Bandit Hunter", along with 10 new combat abilities which can be
discoverable through Ability Scrolls.
Added new dungeon types each with their own monsters and biome "Heat Caves" and "Forest Caves". A minimum of
3 will spawn with each world.
New enemy types: dwelling snake, cave beetle, lunging beetle, spitting beetle, cave wyrm, and cave
- Every game world always spawns with a cave named "The Glimmering Caves" which contains a 4th ascension
- Added a new rock fall trap, which is found in caves only, and has a high chance to cripple.
Caves contain Zebrunite and Grenzite ore, which are used as recipe ingredients for bolstering items.
New map features, items, and enemy behaviors. Explore the caves to discover more!
Bandit Elites are high-level bandits who can be hunted for their unique drops.
- Each world spawns with 6 bandit elites, which are hiding randomly throughout castles and caves.
- Added new Quest Type "Bandit Hunter". This quest is given by Adventurers and will reward the player for
hunting a bandit elite, and is also found on the job board.
- Currently there are 3 bandit elite types, each with a unique drop. We have plans to continue adding more
unique bandit types to avoid duplication.
This is quite a significant change for us, as it required extending the questing system to allow quests to
insert customized map content into other dungeons. Before a map even generates, quests are now able to
modify the map generation code to be executed for that map.
Now that this change is in place, we're excited to add more complex quests in the future, especially those
that take place across multiple zones.
Added 10 new combat abilities which can be unlocked through semi-rare Ability Scrolls. These scrolls are a
new item type and can be found as loot rewards (they are not sold in towns).
Missile Deflection is a new stat introduced this update, and represents the chance to deflect an arrow or
bolt causing it to deal no damage.
- Added Missile Deflection to Heater Shield, Kite Shield, and Tower Shield.
- Added Missile Deflection to various monsters including Cave Beetles and Golems.
- In order to avoid confusion, the previously named "Deflection" ability has been renamed to parry.
In the long-term we'd like each type of player build have some dungeons or content that is especially
difficult. Missile Deflection does that for ranged players, making caves especially dangerous for that
Our first step towards stealth mechanics. Introducing the "Stealth" stat, which increases the difficulty for
enemies to see the player.
- Added Stealth to 2 rare items, including the Woodsmans Fur Cloak.
New "Basement" room type - regular castle dungeons can now spawn with stairs going down to a cave
sub-floor. These caves are smaller and have different enemy types and loot than the larger overworld
- The game now starts with a main quest, directing the player to collect the ascension fragments (this is
a temporary quest until development on the main storyline begins).
- Book shopkeepers have an added dialog item explaining more about the artifact of ascension.
- The game world now generates with a guaranteed number of shops across all cities, towns, and hamlets.
For example, it is no longer possible to have a world with no blacksmiths. There will always be at least
one shop of each type, though usually more depending on the shop type.
- Wild dogs now have a lunge ability.
- Poison and Webber Spiders are now immune to poison.
- Reduced the amount of simulated time that passes when entering a dungeon for the first time.
- Reduced Shadewood sell price.
- Added a weight to gold (0.01 weight per gold coin).
- Render context is now saved with entities; this fixes numerous graphical bugs, including entities
swapping the direction they were facing after saving and loading, or spider nests showing as healthy
when they were already destroyed.
January 31, 2021
Patch Notes - v0.3.3b
- Fixed ability debilitating slash showing wrong attack animation.
- Fixed in some cases as low as 4 caves spawning in the world, instead of the intended 6.
- Reduced cave beetle health and armor.
February 1, 2021
Patch Notes - v0.3.3c
- Add new speech bubble UI art.
- Speech bubbles no longer cover the player or NPC sprite, but will instead determine the best
non-blocking location to appear.
- NPCs will now respond to "I'm looking for work" with a list of quests they offer, which are joined into
a separate quest menu. This fixes the issue where NPCs would have multiple "I'm looking for work"
- Fixed gems selling for 1 gold instead of their intended value.
- Fixed bandit elites rooms not spawning in some cases.
- Tweaked rock trap damage, add armor pen.
- Quest gold rewards is now rounded to the nearest 5.
- Reduced the number of Bandits and Gremlins in large dungeon floors by around 30%.
- Reduced the number of rats that spawn on dungeon floors.
- Added cave rocks to bandit hideout caves.
- Fix misaligned starving and hunger icons.