May 7, 2021
Patch Notes - v0.2.3
Improvements to Dungeon Generation
Dungeons now have more variety in terms of size and layout. Not all dungeons will include large
hallways. Starting dungeons have reduced difficulty.
Between larger floors is a chance to spawn special event floors.
New Weapon Type - Flails
Flails fall under the bludgeon category similar to maces, and rely on a new combat mechanic. The Rogue and
Warrior classes may start with a flail, and they can be found among other weapon loot throughout the
New Skill - Quartermastery
Gear maintenance and modifications now fall under the quartermastery skill, which can be acquired by any
"Bolster" any equippable item to give a small stat bonus and significantly increase durability. This
requires double the repair materials cost.
Increase Quartermastery level to boost carrying capacity in a number of ways.
Free yourself from the need for a workbench; modify your gear anywhere!
Weapon and armor durability is now based on a degradation system, where previously it was a random chance to
- Equipment now degrades according throughout combat.
- Once equipment drops below 50% durability, it enters a warning state "Worn Condition" and can then be
- Once equipment drops below 20% durability, it becomes damaged, which reduces stats (similar to the
previous damaged state).
- Once equipment drops to 0%, it becomes broken and unusable.
- Workbench UI has been redone to improve usability and to make room for the new bolster mechanic.
This update includes the addition of our first trap.
- New "Bear Trap" added throughout dungeons. Bear Traps are automatically discovered when a tile away.
Stepping on a Bear Trap does a large amount of damage, immobilizes for two turns, and has a high chance
to add wounds.
Enemies will avoid traps if they are the "owners" of the dungeon. For example, Gremlins will avoid traps
in a Gremlin infested castle, since it is assumed they are the ones who placed them there.
Rats have a special status "light footed", granting them immunity to traps.
- How the game processes turns has been rewritten to support an upkeep phase (before an entity's turn
starts), and a cleanup phase (after a turn ends). With this change events or actions can now take place
Please report any bugs or oddities related to how enemies take turns, or actions related to ending your
- Dungeons stairs will now attempt to spawn further apart, and also prefer isolated rooms.
- Overworld locations will now spawn spread apart, with the towns roughly evenly spaced around the island.
- Item tooltips have been revamped for clarity. Core stats are shown in a larger font, while additional
stats are displayed as modifiers. Special statuses (poisoned, bolstered, broken, etc) are shown
separately with color-coded icons.
Time is now tracked while moving through dungeons and the overworld. See the "Quest" panel for the
current date. This will become important in future updates, particularly for quests.
Wild animals now have a chance to drop raw meat.
Small rebalance to prices, particularly of food and cooking ingredients.
Torches now add 10% burn chance to attacks. This works for both the player and enemies.
Added art for Switchblade and Twin Razors weapons.
- Fixed chance to apply wounds, stuns, or knockbacks being calculated incorrectly (resistance values were
calculated additively when they should have been multiplicative). Early game this did not make much
difference, but as the player gained resistances it would cause these resistances to be massively more
powerful than intended.
- Fixed saved files showing time of first save instead of most recent save.
- Fixed twin razors not requiring two hands.
- Fixed hit splashes not visible due to rendering below other sprites.